Sunday, September 18, 2011

30 day challenge: Day 6 and 7

I'm kinda behind!!
Day 6: Lazy kinda day… got some sun and did some reading. At the same time. Lovely. Trying to stick to 15 mins or less for the vitamin D making, not for a tan. I don't do that kinda thing anymore. Not that I never did… sheesh, as a teenager I used to drown myself in baby oil and lie out until crisp, turn over and get crisp on that side, too… they complain for DAYS as every inch of me hurt. Now I freak over every new freckle or mole!!

The evening was the 64th Air Force ball… it was outstanding! Here's me and my best friend, Tey:

One thing I spent time during the day doing that was not reading in the sunshine was trying on all my old dresses… you know, the ones I couldn't fit in for a few years (like since 2005)? Well, this one was the best and it's a little too big!! Whoo hooo!!

So, what does one eat at a ball?? Food, food everywhere… and LOTS to eat!!
There was sushi (only eat the raw fish part… no rice!! Save those precious carbs for the alcohol!!), roast beef freshly carved, chicken and beef on skewers, hot wings, fresh veggies (no dip… can't control what's in it!), fresh fruit and deviled eggs. I ate when I was hungry and had 3 drinks: vodka tonics with a twist of lime. Not bad for over a 5 hour period of time.

On the day of a ball, does one exercise?? Nah… save the energy for dancing!! Whoo hoo!! I think we danced for about 3 hours straight!! One thing I noticed as I was dancing is that I am once again able to jump around like I did about 15 years ago! I had SO much energy and didn't get winded at all!! My legs were stronger and could handle doing the squats… you know "How low can you go?" type. When I got home, my clothes were saturated with sweat. What fun!!

Day 7: Sunday
Oh… did I really have to get up and go to church? Oh yeah, I was scheduled to cantor (sing the psalm and alleluia)… OK, OK, I'm up! BING! Was I UP!! I actually did fine getting out of bed and ready for church… got there early even. Ate breakfast after getting home… typical: 2 scrambled eggs with heavy cream and bacon bits, some feta cheese sprinkled on top and coffee. My one vice I cannot, and refuse to give up is coffee!! So, I just drink it now with heavy cream (yeah, that's a change… used the rest of the ½ & ½ so switched to heavy cream as I'm just not crazy about almond milk in it and I HATE the taste of coconut, so not going to try that kind of milk!!). Lunch was a smoothie: blueberry/cherry, greek yogurt and some whey protein powder with almond milk. I wasn't that hungry, so I drank my lunch while I sat in the sunshine and read some more. But, dinner… OH dinner…

Dinner: The only meal of the day really mentioning 'cause on Facebook (where I posted pictures) I've already had requests for the recipes…

I started marinating the flank steak around 3pm in ¼ c mirin, ¼ c rice wine vinegar, ¼ c gluten-free soy sauce, 3 Tbsp minced garlic, 3 Tbsp minced onion, and one finely chopped jalapeno (OK next time it'll be 2 or 3 of those!).





Broiled eggplant/tomato parmesan was the first recipe requested:
Lightly coat a cookie pan with olive oil, peel and thinly slice eggplant and place on the pan, thinly slice tomatoes and place on top of the eggplant and lightly salt with kosher or sea salt and grind black pepper over top. Place in the oven about 6-8 inches away from the heating element set for broil for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle freshly shredded parmesan cheese on top and some basil flakes (best if fresh, but mine died, so I had to use dried) and return to the oven for 5-10 more minutes. Its ready when you can slice one easily, but the flesh should not be mushy.
Next on the list was onions and mushrooms… I used both brown and white button mushrooms. Only flavoring was freshly ground black pepper and some kosher salt:

There's just something SO good about steak with mushrooms and onions on it!! I'm sure there's SOMEthing Primal about that combo!! :) I could definitely GATHER onions and mushrooms (if I only knew where to find them and which ones wouldn't KILL me!! Ha ha!)




So… all together, here's dinner for my non-Primal family. I don't think they even realized it was so primal!!

OH!! Dessert!! Golden New Zealand Kiwis (my favorite… they're sweeter than the green kinds), cut up dates and cherries, and mandarin oranges:

I keep telling you that going Primal tastes great!!

One last thing… 1 more pound gone!! :) I'm lovin' life right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment