Friday, April 15, 2022

Time to get Working out!

New Work Out and Why?


Pandemic 2020

Throughout the past two years of the pandemic many people began working out while at home and it was good. However, I didn't have the time at home to do that and kept plugging along, working in and out of the home. Remember, I'm a physical therapist. So glad I wasn't working in a hospital setting!! I work in pediatrics primarily and during most of the pandemic, we saw patients in the clinical setting. Yes, when EVERYTHING shut down back in 2020, we, too, closed the office. However, we quickly moved to telehealth and that took up almost as much time as going into the clinic.  

After moving to Florida, I find myself with a LOT of time on my hands as I'm in-between jobs and just returned from the east coast. So, what does one do when one hasn't given much time to herself over the pandemic? Start exercising!! 

I plan to walk until I feel ready to run again... if that happens. It's been 6 years since I broke my ankle running (see blog post April 16, 2016). Gosh, a LOT has happened since then! Not to mention, I'm now in my mid-50s and running will be difficult, but not impossible! I do enjoy walking, so for now, that's the challenge! Besides, walking is VERY good for us! (I'll get into the science another day, promise)

Program Week 1:


I started walking every morning except Sundays - it's cliche, but that's my "rest" day. I also decided to start out slowly and varied my route to reduce boredom. So, on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays I decided to head to the right walking out of my driveway. That way I could backtrack or choose to go longer than the original 1.5 miles for week 1. 
I also decided that Wednesday would be the "perfect" day to be my "hard" day and walk farther.

On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays I decided those would be my "easy" days and I'd pretty well stick to the same 1.4 loop as I go out my driveway to the left. 



My week looked like this: 
Monday - 1.53 miles in 32 minutes
Tuesday - 1.44 miles in 30 minutes
Wednesday - 1.78 miles in 38 minutes
Thursday - 1.47 miles in 38 minutes (with an 8 minute talk with a neighbor)
Friday - 1.54 miles in 31 minutes
Saturday - 1.58 miles in 32 minutes

Program Week 2:

Not only did I feel like I could add more steps into my days, but that I need to add to my work out beyond walking. Though walking is a GREAT workout, especially for those of us who are over 50, I need toning and strength. So, I did a Youtube search as I've always been a lover of exercise classes, and found "Fit Tiff". She had just done a 5-day, 20-minute-a-day workout plan last week and I just did that each day (I'll add a link to each day's workout for your convenience). 

What I like about "Fit Tiff" is that she has a timer in the upper right corner fo the screen with a "ding" for the halfway point and 3-2-1 beep sounds for the end of the exercise time. She gives approximately 20 seconds between the exercises and has a small window in the left upper screen to show what the next exercise will be. She also incorporates a 30 second rest between sets. Well done, Tiff!! (No, I do not know her, but I support anyone with good quality exercise videos out there!)

Monday -     2.07 miles in 49 minutes (again, a talk with a neighbor)
                    20-minute upper body workout: Biceps and Triceps
Tuesday -     1.75 miles in 34 minutes (there are two cul-de-sacs I added in to that loop)
                    20-minute leg day at home: Glutes and quad focus 
Wednesday- 2.5 miles in 50 minutes (I went around the entire peninsula!)
                    No equipment cardio: Cardio and Abs
Thursday -   1.57 miles in 31 minutes
                    20-minute upper body workout: Shoulders and Chest
Friday -        2.2 miles in 57 minutes (met another neighbor and her two dogs!)
                    (no extra exercises today due to patient appointments and Good Friday Mass at 3pm)
Saturday -    2.06 miles in 44 minutes


So, what for next week and where do I go from here? I plan to repeat week 2 for week 3, but add in fully eating Paleo again. Dairy and certain grains like rice and GF oats have made their way back into my diet. I was talking to my adult son, who is casein allergic and has gluten sensitivity, that we need to begin both eating the same. No dairy, no gluten/grains. So, that'll be the week 3 addition to this lifestyle overhaul. I'll check in after week 3 to update my stats for you! At this point, the scale has slightly gone up, which could be a number of things (like increased water weight as I've been drinking more water, or increased muscle weight due to the exercises, etc). 












No comments:

Post a Comment