Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pulled Pork

As I peruse many Paleo blogs and websites, I come across many, many recipes I'm dying to try… one of which was "Big Tim's GROK Pulled Pork" off the Fast Paleo recipe sharing webpage.  I've only done tomato-based pork or beef roasts… so this was a first for me, AND an eye-opening experience because after 22 years of marriage, I just found out my hubby prefers the vinegar-based pulled pork!!  Well… I definitely continue to learn something new everyday!

As per usual, I made some adaptations to fit my taste buds and what spices and such I had on hand… so without further ado, here's the Baby PT version!!

Crockpot Pulled Pork:

3-6 lb pork shoulder
1 medium to large white onion (if it's not burning your eyes as you're cutting it, it's NOT hot enough!!)
1 medium diakon (white radish or turnip)
1 cup baby carrots cut up into bite-sized pieces
2 tsp sea salt
1 ½ tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp garlic (I used fresh, minced)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp curry powder (our teen prefers that I omit this next time!)
1 tsp ground clove (he also requested omit this too… hubby and I both liked it in)
1 tsp tumeric
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water

Set pork shoulder on counter to bring to room temp while cutting veggies and onions.

Mix together vinegar, water and all spices.

In cast iron skillet or other large skillet, melt ¼ cup ghee or clarified butter and sear pork on each side for 2-3 minutes.  Put the seared pork into the crock pot, arrange the veggies around it (not on it) and pour in the spice mixture and cover.

Cook either 8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.  Remove pork from crockpot and shred using forks or whatever your preferred method of pulling apart the pork grain and place back into crockpot.  Serve directly from crockpot.

Since this has no green veggies and we all like our greens, we'll either have a salad or green beans on the side.  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment