Friday, September 23, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 11

Day 11... it interesting how I'm living a day ahead of the challenges that are posted pretty much daily on Mark's Daily Apple.  Here's ... umm... yesterday's that I didn't get to see until today due to the typhoon!  I'll put my answers in blue to make it interesting:

Each question answered counts as one entry in today’s contest. Ten questions means ten opportunities to win.
  1. In as few words as possible, how would you explain the Primal Blueprint to someone new to the concept?  The Primal Blueprint is a lifestyle change that not only incorporates eating foods similar to how our paleolithic ancestors ate (no grains, no beans/legumes, limited dairy), but movement and exercises similar to how our ancestors moved.  These ancestors had no scientists or government organizations to tell them how to eat, so they ate what they could kill or find.  What's important about those foods are that they didn't come in handy convenient packages that were 'fat free' or 'cholesterol free', but organic as there were no pesticides and chemicals to spray on the foods they found.  In living their normal, everyday life, they had to move over pretty large distances daily, but didn't break their necks doing so... walking or lightly running was their way.  They also had to lift heavy things to get life done.  When you're building shelters, making fire pits, carving hunting and cooking implements out of stone or tree limbs, you're lifting/moving/pushing/pulling heavy things... this probably wasn't daily, but a few times a week or so.  Unfortunately, since there were no cars or bikes, they occasionally had to run... and probably, for their LIVES!!  Yeah, their lives were shorter than ours... shoot, they weren't the top of the food chain and they didn't have hospitals or surgeons.    However, in living this way, there was no cancer, heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer diseases.  You choose... modern lifestyle or live the paleo way through the Primal Blueprint?   
  2. What is the first thing a person should do to kick start their Primal life?  Make a SERIOUS commitment to herself/himself.  Without that commitment, it isn't going to work.  it is NOT easy to eat differently and if you cave in because you "can't find anything to eat" when you go to a restaurant or to a friends house, it won't work.  Commitment.  30 days.  TRY IT.
  3. What do you think is the most important thing one should understand as they attempt to go Primal?  That you are a little fish swimming upstream surrounded by bigger fish swimming downstream against you.  You NEED support to make this lifestyle work for you:  online, in person, via telephone... support. 
  4. What was the biggest hurdle you experienced when going Primal and how did you overcome it?  The people around me thinking this was 'just another one of Debi's weird phases, it'll pass'... I'm still getting over that.  My biggest hurdle was the hubby and him rolling his eyes over my not eating bread and pastas... even my whole wheat kinds.  After doing this now for the past 3 months, he's supporting me.  He sees me pulling clothes out of the closet that I haven't worn in YEARS and all the people commenting on my dramatic weight reduction/shape up.  Family back home are seeing the difference in my Facebook photos and realizing the 'silly diet' I started when I was home visiting is doing something better than the ultra 'healthy' diet we all have been eating for years... however, I'm still getting over this hurdle... proving to myself every day that this isn't a 'phase' but a new LIFESTYLE.                                            
  5. If there is something you’d go back and do differently as it relates to diet, fitness and lifestyle behaviors, what would it be and why?  Go back?  Like how far?  Geez, at 45 one can look REALLY far back or just a little while ago.  As far as diet... I did what I was told to lose weight and get healthy.  Could I have figured it out on my own?  yeah... probably.  Back in 2004 I started the South Beach Diet and in the first 2 weeks 'induction' phase you give up all carbs (breads, rice, potatoes, etc)... I realized then how much better I felt and wondered if I was gluten sensitive.  However, I just didn't know to research that further... perhaps I should have.  I also think I should have stayed with Karate back in late 1998 as that really kicked my butt into shape.  However, I was getting my master's degree and just didn't have the time... yeah, should have made time.  At this age... knowing what I know NOW?  I'd do it ALL different and adapt this Primal lifestyle when I was in my early 20s.  BUT, can't go back, can only go forwards.  So... NOW'S the time to change!              
  6. What do you usually eat for breakfast? Now?  Gosh, I love, LOVE, love eggs and bacon.  I was one of those health care providers who bought into the entire 'all fat is bad for you' Lipid Hypothesis, so I haven't eaten Bacon... without picking off the fat parts, in YEARS... like since high school, shoot make that junior high school!  I throw in a banana or kiwi or orange for my fruit bit, especially since I'm prone to cramps in my feet.  AND coffee... did I mention coffee??  On my fasting days or no-breakfast days... have to have my coffee.  No sugar, but now am using real cream... the heavier the better as long as it is organic or no hormones at the least.                                       
  7. What is your favorite Primal recipe and how do you make it?  I'm experimenting so much right now that I don't have a favorite per se, but do have a 'go to' side salad: I usually thinly slice up 1/4 to 1/3 head of cabbage and add to it whatever other greens I can... bok choy sliced, celery (though hubby hates celery, so not when he's home!), julienned zucchini and carrots, red cabbage, etc.  Then I make a dressing with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2-3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp powdered ginger, pinch white pepper, and a touch of organic honey if I need some sweetness (I often forget this step and it's still OK)... then chop up some nuts... usually macadamia or walnuts and sprinkle them on top.  Whole family likes it and I can even whip some up for a pot luck!!  I got the idea from a cabbage ramen salad I used to make... no ramen now and a LOT of other great stuff thrown in!!  Yummy                             
  8. What is your favorite Primal workout and how do you do it? Right now, I'm doing gardening as my go-to Primal workout.  I do squats and lunges while I'm picking up raked leaves or debris, I am cutting a LOT of branches off bushes and small trees out there, so the squeezing motion of the clipper/loppers are helping my arms and chest, and I actually get on my hands and knees and use my gloved hands as a way to clear debris out from under low bushes... I make sure I tighten my abs as I pull the stuff toward myself and rotate my body when I swipe it off to the side and put in the bag (gotta get the obliques, too!!)                                   
  9. What is your best dining-out tip? TALK to the server.  If you're not sure if something has gluten or grains... ASK.  I am not a typical "look at me" type of person, so this is a new thing for me to do.  However, with that being said, when we go off base in Japan, they do NOT make accommodations like our servers on base or in the states.  SO, bring your own gluten-free soy sauce and pick dishes you know are as close to Primal 'rules' as you can get... limit rice to 1/2 cup or less.  Most Japanese food is made from fresh ingredients, so just don't get the noodles and eat freshly prepared foods or sashimi (raw fish).  :)                      
  10. How do you manage to stay Primal when friends, family, coworkers and the rest of the world aren’t? That commitment I talked about earlier... I had to make a serious commitment to myself.  However, with that being said, because I got so sick with the gallbladder disease prior to starting my Primal lifestyle, I have no true desire to EVER experience that type of pain again.  So... since pinto beans put me in the ER for 6 1/2 hours with pain... no beans EVER again for me!  Once you're limiting yourself to say, stay out of pain, you get good at just giving up other foods.  I think most of my friends at this time remember how sick I got... they don't want me that way again, either.  They also see how good I'm looking and understand my weight loss and fitness goals.  It helps to be surrounded by generally healthy people in a military community.  I have to admit that those who are less supportive, I really don't hang around anymore.  No offense, but I need support, not nay-sayers...                                        
 So, now here's for some pictures I snapped while driving around the base today... there were a LOT of blown over trees:


See the car??  Glad it's not mine!!  Feel sorry for the person who does own it... :( 
 And for the one behind our house?





I still thing that one far right is leaning on that little building, but haven't gone over to check on it....

































So, dinner?  YUMMO!!  EASY dinner... fried up boneless chicken thighs dipped in almond meal and chopped pecans in coconut oil and butter, then poured red sauce ontop and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese!!  Salad as the side dish with black olives, organic greens, grape tomatoes and carrots.  Took about 25 mins from fridge to table.  :)  Hubby liked it, but his 'chicken Parmesan' went on spaghetti noodles.








No comments:

Post a Comment